TAIPING WAR CEMETERY
Taiping is a town in Perak
State, about 97 kilometres south-east of Penang in the north- west of Malaysia.
It can be reached by motorway either from Penang or from Ipoh, capital city of
the state. Both Penang and Ipoh have airports. The cemetery is 2 kilometres from
the town, past the open park on the road to the waterfall and swimming pool.
Locally known as Perkuburan Peperangan Taiping; the Cemetery is on the Jalan
Bukit Larut (Bukit Larut Road).
At the time of the Japanese
invasion of Malaya, Taiping was on the British line of retreat down the west
coast. Its normal garrison of one Indian Infantry Battalion had been augmented,
a casualty reception station organised, arrangements made with the civilian
authorities for the provision of 500 beds for military patients, and 20 Combined
General Hospital (Indian Army) had been posted there. During the fighting the
Indian 6th and 15th Brigades used Taiping as a rest and re-fitment centre for a
few days; and, as the withdrawal southwards developed, numerous Indian Army
medical units worked there for short periods before each in turn had to move
towards Singapore with the fighting forces. Taiping War Cemetery was created by
the Army after the defeat of Japan for the reception of graves brought from the
battlefields, from numerous temporary burial grounds, and from village and other
civil cemeteries where permanent maintenance would not be possible. There are
separate entrances to the two parts, the plots of Christian graves lying on the
south-eastern side of the road and the Muslim and Gurkha graves on the opposite
side. In the Muslim and Gurkha section the Stone of Remembrance stands in front
of a high bank which forms the north-western boundary. The two small shelters in
the cemetery have been constructed of local stone, and a low stone wall flanks
the road on each side. There are now over 850, 1939-1945 war casualties
commemorated in this site, more than 500 of whom are unidentified.
No. of Identified